Last Update :7/16/2019
Piedmont Driving Club Seeks Golf Course Superintendent
GOLF COURSE SUPERINTENDENT PROFILE:
PIEDMONT DRIVING CLUB
THE GOLF COURSE SUPERINTENDENT (GCS) OPPORTUNITY AT PIEDMONT DRIVING CLUB
Piedmont Driving Club is looking for a Golf Course Superintendent (GCS) that is a strong agronomist with proven success in managing Bentgrass greens in a challenging environment. The GCS will be a self-starter, forward thinker, energetic, communicative, detail-oriented, empathetic, and a driven team leader with a passion for the game of golf and consistently providing premiere golfing conditions.
PIEDMONT DRIVING CLUB
Since its founding in 1887, the Piedmont Driving Club has enjoyed a reputation as one of the most prestigious private clubs in the South. As in its beginning years, the Club's contemporary membership roster includes the city's most influential business leaders and most prominent families. Now in its second century, the Club continues to prosper and is a dynamic part of Atlanta's rich heritage and promising future.
Piedmont Driving Club provides its members and their families with plentiful recreational, social and dining opportunities. The historic main clubhouse, located in Midtown Atlanta, offers both casual and formal a la carte dining in the Park Room and Main Bar and banquet space to accommodate private functions ranging from an intimate dinner for two to events for 800 or more.
Superior athletic facilities at this location include men's and women's health clubs, tennis courts, squash courts, and an Olympic size swimming pool. The Athletic Department offers a variety of health and fitness awareness programs in addition to state-of-the-art fitness equipment and expert guidance from the staff.
In 2000, the Club opened a second facility in southwest Atlanta for golf and recreation. This 650-acre location offers an 18-hole, Rees Jones designed championship golf course and 9-hole Par 3 course, a clubhouse and locker rooms, boating, fishing, and walking trails.
PIEDMONT DRIVING CLUB/COURSE OVERVIEW
- 18 holes plus a 9-hole Par 3 course
- Architect- Rees Jones
- Greens- USGA, Bent, A-1
- Fairways- Tifway 419
- Roughs- Tifway 419
- Irrigation System- Toro Infinity, new heads
- Water source- lake water, no restrictions
- Bunkers- Better Billy Bunkers
- Budget- $2.0M
- 22,000 rounds of golf annually
- Average age of members is 52
- 1,200 golf members
- Average Handicap Men- 16, Women- 20
- Staff: 2 Assistants, 1 Mechanic, 12 Full Time Employees, 8 H2B
- Golf Committee meets once annually
- Closed on Tuesdays with the exception of 10-12 Tuesday outings
- First tee time- 8 a.m. on weekends, 8:30 a.m. on weekdays
- 150-acre lake with fishing and boat docks
PIEDMONT DRIVING CLUB WEBSITE: Piedmont Driving Club
The Golf Course Superintendent (GCS) reports directly to the General Manager (GM) and works closely with the Golf Professional. The GCS leads and manages his/her team to ensure superb golfing conditions throughout the golfing season, all while creating a friendly, open atmosphere with team members. He/She is responsible for all day-to-day operations of the Club’s golf course and landscaping.
Frequent, open and transparent communication with the GM and Golf Professional is required. The GCS is expected to lead the golf course maintenance team and provide information, recommendations, and leadership to the GM to provide superior golfing conditions.
The GCS is expected to ensure that the golf course is consistently in excellent condition and has a high level of detailing. Continuing education and staying at the forefront of research and technology are necessary for success. In addition, the GCS provides creative leadership and fosters a culture of continuing education and development of future turf professionals. The GCS must have a natural style of “sincere engagement” with members and the Piedmont Driving Club team along with a love of the game of golf and a passion for surpassing the members’ course conditioning expectations.
INITIAL AREAS OF FOCUS
- Evaluate the course conditions and develop an action plan for the fall and winter
- Create an exceptional work environment for team members
- Develop an organizational structure including Standard Operating Procedures
- Create an action plan to improve stress tolerance of greens and complete repairs of thin areas
- Review soil tests and necessary nutritional inputs to all areas
- Elevate the level of detailing on the golf course and the on-course landscape
DESIRED CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate will be a Superintendent with a minimum of five years of experience at a golf course known for providing exceptional golf course conditioning.
- Successful experience with Bentgrass greens in the most challenging climates
- Experience providing smooth, firm, fast greens with an understanding of managing summer stress
- A history of keeping Bentgrass free of 419 contamination
- Provides consistent conditions at the practice facilities and Par 3 course that are identical to the golf course conditions
- Strong bunker maintenance programming
- Proactive, high energy, collaborative leader, a team builder
- A history of developing a positive, employee and member-centric work culture
- A history of mentoring team members and advancing their careers
- Experience implementing strong employee training programs and helping the team understand the game of golf and the impact of maintenance on the golf experience
- Maintains regular and timely communications with the Golf Professional and the Golf Operations Team
- Strong relationship builder with a history of excellent relations with the Golf Professional and General Manager
- Strong observational skills and attention to detail
- A history of finishing renovations and experienced in completing projects and tasks in a timely fashion
- Experience with developing plans to maintain the edges of the golf course at a high level
- Confident, take-charge leader
- Strong budget management and forecasting (zero-based) skills
- Experience with capital budget forecasting
- Excellent, clear and concise communication with both club and team members
- Highly visible and approachable
- Takes ownership of the property
- A creative turf manager with strong agronomic skills
- Stays current with advances in turf technology, irrigation management, and equipment maintenance
- Maintains a strong network of industry peers
- Passion for exceptional conditioning
- Takes pride in maintaining Club Grounds
- A high Golf IQ and a love for great golf course architecture
- A strong understanding of daily golf course setup
EDUCATIONAL AND CERTIFICATION QUALIFICATIONS
A degree in turf management or related field of study. GCSAA Certification is preferred.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Club offers a competitive salary, bonus and benefits package including a GCSAA membership for a position of this scope and responsibility.
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY
Please upload your résumé and cover letter (in that order) using the link below. You should have your documents fully prepared to be attached when prompted for them during the online application process.
IMPORTANT: Save your résumé and letter in the following manner:
“Last Name, First Name Résumé” &
“Last Name, First Name Cover Letter”
(These documents should be in Word or PDF format)
Note: Once you complete the application process for this search, you are not able to go back in and add additional documents.
For directions on how to upload your résumé and cover letter visit this page.
Click here to upload your résumé and cover letter.
If you have any questions, please email Nan Fisher: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lead Search Executive:
KOPPLIN KUEBLER & WALLACE
[ More News ]